Friday, August 24, 2012

Works From Another Time

I recently reopened an old hard drive containing files and scans from a long time ago, all while looking for some pieces I will be posting here some time soon. These three ladies date from back in (in the order posted here):1995, 1987 and 2003 (this last one, "The Venetian Lady", is only a fine tuned guess since it is not dated, but I'm pretty sure it has to be from that time). The black and white piece (pencil on paper)was a character study for a graphic novel project that never became a reality, the "Lady in the Forest" was a one Saturday job (ink, watercolor and gouache on watercolor paper), I put around 13 hours in it I remember, the size of the original is quite big (100X70 cms). The last one (photoshop) is a portfolio piece.

8 comments:

Andrey Egorov said...

Very good graphics!

Mauricio Abril said...

Love that charcoal one!

Steven Roberson said...

Love the delicate lines in the "Lady in the Forest" piece. Would you mind sharing your process for what order you applied the ink and color? I really enjoy the way it turned out.

Rafa López said...

Fantastic!

Marcos Mateu said...

-Thanks Andrey

-Thanks Mauricio

-Thanks Steven. It was 25 years ago but I'll try to remember. I did the drawing with pencil on water color paper, After that I inked the drawing with a mixture of black and brown ink using a few 'quality watercolor brushes' (can't remember the brand) of different sizes so that I could adjust depending on the need of the moment. After that I watercolored on top starting with a general wash of a warm greenish color (I believe I masked the character with the masking transparent paper one regularly used for airbrushing, back at that time). I have to say I was always amazed at the fact that, when applying the wash, the india ink I used for the drawing didn't smudge at all. The butterfly detail I had to do with opaque gouache, since I had to cover the watercolor washes and they were to small to start masking away each on of them.

-Gracies Rafa!

Andre Mansim said...

Muito bom Mestre! Você tem o dom do desenho!

Parabens!

Marcelo Vignali said...

Whoa, you were kicking my butt way back in 1987.

Marcos Mateu said...

-Thanks Andre!

-Thanks Moe!